Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Music and Writing

I don't know about any of you out there, but I've reached a point where I won't write without being accompanied by music of some kind. Before I used music as much as I do now, I averaged around 2,500-3,000 words every time I wrote. But now that music is more of a factor, I'm writing upwards of 3,000-4,000 words a day. All the proof of music's help is there.

Now I'm not here to tell other writers what they should be doing, everyone has their own way of doing things. But I've read article after article about the psychological benefits of listening to music everyday or while doing certain things, writing included. I personally have yet to hear about a writer listening to anything while they write, but seeing as I find it as beneficial as I do I figure I should be the one to say so. Sure, originally I found it kind of distracting to the process, but I worked through it, and stopped cranking the volume up to 11, light volume is definitely the way to go.

Another thing I seem to see in my own writing strategies, is that my writing is better when I listen to certain things at certain points, music that just fits the feeling the writing is trying to convey. I call these songs the book's 'playlist' because they are the ones I listen to the most often while writing that particular book, and it seems to change heavily when I start a new book. A new feeling requires a new playlist. Of course, the playlist doesn't necessarily have to change completely. I have had one song on the last three playlists I've created, it just seems to fit a portion of every one of the books.

So, long blog made short, I would suggest at least trying music out if you haven't already. And if you're listing to music while writing already, spread the word. I'm reading a lot of crap ideas that I've heard before, a lot of recycled garbage like always. Music is a writing strategy that not enough people talk about, and I think that's one of the biggest shortfalls in writing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment